Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!!

Happy 4th everyone! Today I want to speak about independence and what that means to a recovering alcoholic/addict, or at least this one. I am so grateful for my independence from addiction. I was dependent on alcohol and drugs during almost my entire life and now am independent of them. I feel so very blessed to live in a country where we have independence. I feel so very blessed to now have a life independent of any mind altering substance. I have spent so many 4th of July weekends drunk and wasted on drugs in my life, however the past 4 years I have had sober 4ths and have really enjoyed the beauty of the occasion both literally with the incredible fireworks as well as the spirit of the occasion. Independence!!
This weekend was wonderful, I spent the weekend with my child Briana and her father. Yesterday the 3rd of July which was a Saturday we went to the Zoo. I hadn't been since my eldest child was small so it has been quite some time. I don't think I ever went with my middle child and since I only had her for the first 5 years of her life, it is possible we did not attend the Metro Zoo or Zoo Miami as it is now called, such a shame! It is beautiful! I absolutely loved it, and tried to see it through my 5 year old's eyes. I also have just completed an Animal Behavior psychology course so I was familiar with most of the animals and their different species through reading and films. It was great to actually meet them! Although there were rare and exotic animals like lemurs and grevy zebras and three toed sloths. LOL! I think I really most enjoyed feeding the giraffe's. I thought there tongues would feel slimy and wet, however they did not. The tongue was rough and not slimy in the least. I enjoyed how it felt across the tips of my fingers or the palms of my hands when the giraffe stuck out his enormous gray tongue to retrieve the lettuce I offered. There was a mother 26 years of age, a father 14 yrs old and 2 children one 7 months old and one just two weeks old!! He was so tall I couldn't believe he was so young and he walked perfectly. I guess animals are born with the ability to walk or fly right away,or relatively soon. While humans must first lift there heads, then shoulder, sit up, crawl, then finally pull themselves up prior to taking that first step. The process takes at least 10 months, sometimes a year or more. Yet a 2 week old giraffe not only walks but is as tall as a tree!!! A giraffe eats cabbage, lettuce and bananas most start eating leaves at about 4 weeks although may continue to nurse. I found them beautiful and regal in their stature. I felt honored to meet them so closely. That was yesterday!
Today, I went to FAU where I attend classes to a 4th of July bash. It rained all day but would subside to a drizzle more than not so we (me, my 5 yr old and her friend) were able to enjoy all the festivities. First we went to a Shakespeare play, midsummer mights dream. We made it in time for the entire second act. Briana had been to the ballet often, but it was her first play and she loved it! I was thrilled, both her and her friend were very still and quiet and totally engrossed in the dialogue. Although I am not sure how much they truly understood. I myself had to really listen to understand all of the dialogue. Shakespearean English is not always easy to comprehend, especially for a novice! However, the children enjoyed the costumes and all the excitement. After all the play includes fairies and a princess, a drag queen (LOL) and well it was quite good!! Then we had hot dogs for dinner and the girls got their faces painted. They also had bounce houses but because of the rain they were very slippery and wet. More fun!!! LOL. At least that's how they saw it! Thank God I thought to bring an extra outfit for each of them just in case!! Then we all met up with Briana's dad and his friend and went to a indoor concert at University theater. It was glorious and ended with the star spangled banner! It had started to drizzle again as we left the theater but only a few feet out and the fireworks began just as we were crossing a small bridge. We had the best view in the house!! It was spectacular and continued for 30 minutes. I honestly can say it was the best show I have ever seen or at the very least the best show I can remember seeing!!
Being sober brings you many blessing. I have had many! Why just in the last week I have seen and spent time with my father and his very devoted wife, have spent a wonderful weekend and the blessings still keep coming with the arrival of my funny little valentine. My very grown up daughter Nicole and her very serious beau. I will be meeting him for the first time, I hope he is good enough for her and realizes how lucky he is!!
I speak of these many blessings not only to share them with my readers, but also because not to long ago I was completely estranged from my children, in particular my two eldest children, my father sibling, seriously my entire family. Sobriety has brought me miracles and I know it can do the same for you. I am sure of it!!
So goodnight my fellow bloggers and remember its all about staying sober no matter life!!
Ps. Thank you God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment